Senior Mechanical Engineer
The Senior Mechanical Engineer works in a cooperative team environment with other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, software engineers, designers and technicians. Designs, analyzes and tests robotic systems and components and supports them in production. Prepares design specifications, mechanical drawings, test specifications and technical reports. Reports to Manager of Mechanical Engineering. At a fundamental level, the following requirements are absolute for this position. If you possess the following, please consider applying today!
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 7 years of engineering work experience
- Proficiency in precision machine design in low to medium quantities (1 to 1000 units) using a formal design process; progressing from requirements analysis through component design, system design, and assembly.
- Proficiency in integrated system design and analysis using 3D CAD/CAE, to include structural and thermal analysis, drive train design, motor specification, material/finish selection, and manufacturing processes.
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent residency in order to comply with Government Contract
The Senior Mechanical Engineer (SME) reports to the mechanical engineering department manager and is responsible for carrying out medium level development assignments with minor supervision. Working on collaborative cross-discipline project teams, the SME will serve as the senior technical member related to the mechanical design on one or multiple concurrent projects. In addition to mechanical engineering, the SME provides system engineering, analysis, concept development, detailed design expertise. This expertise runs through all stages of the development process from requirements definition through design, drawing, system build, integration, verification, and production. Throughout the prototyping and production phases, the SME will work with internal and external machine shops for component fabrication and with engineers and technicians for system assembly and integration.
The SME must manage their time effectively to meet project, departmental, and company goals, milestones, and budgets. The SME is also expected to provide senior level guidance to less experienced mechanical engineers and system engineering and mechanical guidance to electrical and software engineers at all levels.
The SME contributes to the company advancement by assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the engineering group as a whole and the mechanical engineering department in particular. The SME is also expected to prepare and conduct presentations on the technical design for both internal design reviews and external customer meetings. The SME provides expertise to business development efforts to prepare government proposals and may travel infrequently to customer and supplier sites.
Other Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with robotic systems/unmanned vehicles/manipulator arms
- Experience with undersea equipment design preferred as it pertains to: seawater exposure, contamination, washdown, compatibility of materials, water pressure, dynamic seals, protection of electrical systems, neutral buoyancy, wave action, etc.
- Proficiency with a formal design process applied to a sub-system or system. This includes:
- Establishing and managing requirements and developing design specifications;
- Analysis and concept development for function, testability, manufacturability, and specifying components;
- Creating part models and drawings which convey engineering intent through clear, complete, inspectable drawings, tolerance analysis and definition, GD&T;
- Creating assembly models and drawings which define a BOM, assembly instructions and QC criteria;
- System Integration which includes development of testing and QC procedures to confirm build;
- Manage the buildup, integration and verification of the system
- Experience working within a formal quality control system which applies to process and manufacturing
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully on development teams, meeting all technical, schedule and budget goals
- Proficiency in revision controlled mechanical 3D CAD and vaulting system (Solidworks and EPDM preferred)
- Proficiency in heat flow analysis and thermal management techniques
- Proficiency in motor, drive train, and bearings; analysis and application
- Proficiency in materials, finishes and manufacturing processes
- Working knowledge of design of electrical cabling and wiring systems, including wire routing, grounding, shield management, connector systems, environmental sealing, and production methods
- Working knowledge of mathematical analysis software, i.e MATLAB or MathCAD
- Knowledge of frequency and time domain analysis of dynamic systems
- Experience with motion control system components such as brushless motors, encoders, Hall sensors
- Familiarity with robotic sensors such as: video cameras, LIDAR, force-torque
- Experience with cost estimating and time estimating
- Working knowledge of at least one programming language
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills in English, experience making presentations to groups
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hours: 40 hours/week
Compensation: We offer competitive salaries, company stock options, 401(k) plan, paid time off, and medical/dental/vision/life and disability insurance for all regular full-time employees.
RESUMES ACCEPTED IN PDF FORMAT ONLY.