Principal Research Scientist
Working in a cooperative environment with other Principal Research Scientists/Investigators, Project Managers, Engineers, and Executive Management, the Principal Research Scientist understands the strategic mission and core capabilities of RE2 Robotics along with relevant technologies to define research topics and develop research proposals to advance RE2 technology in critical new directions. He/she leads the research and development of RE2 Robotics’ efforts in autonomous and semi-autonomous manipulation, including implementing state-of-the-art machine learning to the problems of computer vision and manipulator path-planning. At a fundamental level, the following requirements are absolute for this position. Do you possess the following?
- Ph.D. or M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, or other related field with a minimum of 5 years of progressive research experience in vision processing or autonomy/artificial intelligence
- Experience putting together winning research proposals and/or compelling academic papers designed to generate interest in a new idea or concept
- Experience in leading and managing a small team of researchers with constrained budget and schedule to achieve technical success.
- Must be U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Research complex perception, decision making, and control problems and develop solutions for customers across defense, medical, and commercial markets
- Lead the research and development of solutions in the areas of autonomous and vision-aided robotic systems
- Lead teams developing proposals for government and private customers
- Work closely with mechanical, electrical, and software engineering teams to develop systems from concept to production level
- Collaborate with industry partners and top tier academia research institutes
- Initiate and participate in technology conversations with distinguished scholars and industry leaders
- Develop and execute autonomous and vision-aided robotic systems project plans including technical approach and project management to achieve high customer satisfaction
Other Desired Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage research projects, conduct real-world experiments and demonstrations, and identify fruitful research directions, and lead proposal development efforts
- Experience in dealing with customers and conveying difficult concepts in an effective way to customers, colleagues, and collaborators.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Knowledge of fundamentals and state of the art in robotics
- Experience in applying machine learning to real-world robotic problems
- Knowledge of fundamentals in optimization, supervised and reinforcement learning
- Strong research and innovation skills and ability to solve difficult vision and learning problems
- Strong publication records in relevant fields (patents, top conferences and journals)
- Experience with ROS or other robotics platforms
- Excellent prototyping skill and expert programming skills in multiple programming languages
- Hands-on experience with multiple operating systems
- Demonstrated ability to work on cross-functional teams
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic team
Why join RE2 Robotics?
Check out our Recruiting page to learn all about the benefits of working for our thriving company! From Health Insurance to Taco Tuesday - check out many of the perks that make RE2 a great place to work!
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Hours: 40 hours/week
Compensation: We offer competitive salaries, company stock options, 401(k) plan, paid time off, and medical/dental/vision/life and disability insurance for all regular full-time employees.
RESUMES ACCEPTED IN PDF FORMAT ONLY.